As part of the local community we:
- Have fun at art/craft and music workshops at the Grassington Festival in summer.
- Visit the elderly at Threshfield Court and singing to them throughout the year. Children learn about dementia, needs of the elderly and show amazing empathy.
- Learn about growing plants and vegetables with Daniel from All Plants North, at the allotment we share with The Fountaine Inn which is carefully monitored by the local postman/head-gardener.
- Participate in all sorts of sports activities with local schools. Our teams are strong, but, in an area where rugby is at the heart of the community, sportsmanship is key.
- Outdoor learning at Kilnsey Park, a real treat for rare-breed animal lovers.
- Celebrate Christmas at our carol service at St. Michael and All Angels’ Church in Linton. Every Year 6 and Year 5 child either reads part of the Christmas story or a poem or prayer. Parents and family members join with staff and the vicar in a wonderful celebration which is embraced by the whole school community.
Maypole dancing in Grassington Square.
As part of a wider community we...
- Travel by coach subsidised by the “Chips for Trips” scheme run by The Fountaine Inn. The 40p donation from every portion of chips sold amounts to a lot of money! (About £13 per child!)
- Go on planned educational visits to museums that support our topics.
- Participate in a variety of sports activities with Craven area schools. We do surprisingly well for a small school because pupils, parents and staff aim high.
- Have an annual Year 6 residential trip with pupils from local schools in our cluster, helping build friendships for secondary schools.
- Have an annual Year 5 residential trip with pupils from Eastwood School in Keighley to Buckden House, an outdoor adventure centre. This provides ourpupils with the perfect opportunity to work with children from a 98% muslim, Asian community . It’s fun and enlightening for all of us.
- Have links with charities, such as Edinburgh Direct Aid – a charity working with refugees on the Syrian/Lebanese border.